member lounge

 
 
Register  |  Forgot?

News

Moving Forward with Stationary Energy
Solar Tower - Concentrated Solar Thermal

Australia could move to 100% renewable energy in ten years. Yes, that is a reality confirmed by a substantial Australian research project, authored by a team of engineers and scientists with relevant industry and academic backgrounds and supported by scientific and political leaders.

Like all things that seem too good to be true there is a catch: it requires a substantial investment. To kick-start this investment requires a carbon price. The keynote speakers at the Sydney launch of Beyond Zero Emissions, both Malcolm Turnbull and Bob Carr agreed that the most efficient and effective carbon price comes from a carbon market.

How does a carbon market lead to a renewable energy Australia? Well, putting a price on carbon ensures investment is allocated to low-carbon technologies rather than carbon emission intense fossil fuels. Renewables become more economically attractive. As Malcolm Turnbull said, “we need to send a price signal to the market that encourages the step changes in technology that will transform our economy.”

The Zero Carbon Australia Stationary Energy Plan is one of those “step” changes in technology. Mind you, it is a big step. The plan requires an investment of $37 billion every year for the next ten years. To get investors excited about this kind of investment fossil fuels need to be loaded with a carbon price.

Renewable energy investors get excited. And investors need to get excited because this well constructed plan to provide Australia with 100% renewable energy offers more than just a replacement for the electricity we use today. The plan suggests that Concentrated Solar Thermal, a technology that is already successfully used in Spain, will supply the majority (60 per cent) of Australia’s energy needs. Wind turbines will provide the remaining 40 per cent.

Read the full article published at Green Times.

Image credit: Beyond Zero Emissions

Act Now

The message from science is clear - we urgently need to act now to reduce global carbon emissions and help stop damaging climate change.

The evidence linking human carbon emissions to global warming is clear. We need to make deep cuts in carbon emissions in order to avoid the irreversible consequences of damaging climate change.

Those consequences become severe once temperatures have risen above 2 degrees Celsius. We must and can avoid this much warming.


Copyright © 2017 Climakind - All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use & Privacy Policy
Sitemap  |  Contact Us
Web Design & Internet Marketing
C02 neutral website

Trusted SSL Certificate